Friday, March 29, 2019

Women in the Torah and Qur'an: Or, I Have a Sermon in a Book

Hello, friends.

I am posting again so soon as I am Allyson-excited, which is a different level of excited because.........

I officially have a sermon in a book!

This book!
Last year at Hartford Seminary, one of my teachers, Dr. Celene Ibrahim, gave me a great honor when she invited me to contribute a sermon on women in the Qur'an for a book she was compiling of essays on Islam. And I did! And now it is in a real book! It is a very short sermon speaking about how we have so little information on women in all our sacred texts (a great tragedy and disgrace), and that as Jews we might look to stories of women in the Qur'an as sometimes they can provide additional details on the same characters that appear in the Torah, and might prove inspiring for us to consider.

I am so deeply moved that my first published piece is about Islam and Judaism, and grateful for the opportunity to participate in this project.

The book is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1532645708/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0
And here: https://wipfandstock.com/one-nation-indivisible.html?fbclid=IwAR1WhvCAu7WBmT4-ad6oUChf4l3g8YW2l9DSnsBfoINVKk9dfZTR4nD8K6k

If you need proof of my excitement upon finally getting to actually hold a physical copy of the book, please see this photo that my teacher took when she saw my joy:

She kept reminding me I could not steal her copy...
I look forward to reading the other essays in the book as soon as I can get my hands on one. Ah!

Now go out and love one another. Shabbat shalom.

<3,
Allyson

No comments:

Interfaith and the Environment: Quoted in a Zoroastrian Publication

Hello, friends. Last August, I attended the Parliament of the World's Religions in Chicago and was excited to present on a few panels wi...